LA County Library to Showcase Newly Refurbished Norwalk Library at Open House on July 7
To celebrate the reopening and refurbishment of Norwalk Library, LA County Library and Supervisor Janice Hahn will host an Open House on July 7 from 11 am to 1 pm.
The Open House will feature an outdoor activity for children and teens, a walkthrough of the library’s newly refurbished space, and special messages from Supervisor Janice Hahn, LA County Library Director Skye Patrick, and representatives from the City of Norwalk and the local community.
Norwalk Library’s refurbishment was made possible by the generous support of Supervisor Hahn’s 4th Supervisorial District Capital Fund. The $4 million refurbishment project broke ground on February 23, 2020 and was completed on March 1, 2021. Norwalk Library reopened its doors on May 10 for select in-person services as part of the Library’s phased reopening, which followed the State’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy.
Emar Studio and Erik Mar Architect served as the project’s architects, Harry H. Joh Construction served as the project’s contractor, and construction management services were provided by Los Angeles County Department Authority. LA County Library staff also played a significant role in the refurbishment and reopening of Norwalk Library.
Upon visiting Norwalk Library, customers can expect to see exciting new features, including:
- New Floorplan & Layout:
- New furniture and shelving
- Two new Group Study Rooms
- New Circulation Desk with interior book drop
- Dedicated Children’s and Teen Library Areas
- Dedicated early learning space
- Refurbished Veterans Resource Center
- Refurbished Californian Collection Room
- New flooring and paint throughout
- New ADA compliant public restrooms and family restroom
- New technology:
- 9 Adult computers, 9 Homework Center computers, and 2 early learning computers
- USB/power outlets at all reading tables
- New Laptop vending machine with 12 laptops for in-library public use
- Three self-checkout machines
- Digital display screen
- Efficiency and compliancy improvements:
- Energy-efficient LED lighting in library
- Water-efficient fixtures
- Updates to the building exterior:
- New ADA accessible ramp from parking area to Library entrance
- New ADA compliant handrails at existing exterior stairs
- Slurry sealing and re-striping of the parking lot
Norwalk Library is one of 85 LA County libraries currently open for select in-person services. LA County Library has safely reopened its libraries at 75% capacity, while also maintaining 6-feet of physical distance for customers. County residents are encouraged to visit LACountyLibrary.org for details regarding additional library openings, library hours, services, safety protocols and scheduled events and programs.